Any Pierce County resident or non-Washington resident may apply for a CPL — sometimes referred to as a concealed carry or concealed weapons permit — to South Sound 911. Non-Washington residents may apply to any agency that is convenient*. Please note the online system will allow out-of-county residents to apply, however, the application will be rejected and any service and credit card processing fees will not be refunded.
Depending upon the city of residence, there may be alternative locations to submit a CPL application; however, residents of unincorporated Pierce County and the cities of Edgewood, Lakewood, Roy, Tacoma, and University Place may only apply at South Sound 911. Residents who live within the city limits of Bonney Lake, Eatonville, Gig Harbor, Orting, Puyallup, or Sumner may be able to apply at their respective local police departments. Hours and days in which residents can apply may be limited, so please verify procedures in advance.
For ORIGINAL CPL Applicants:
As part of your application process, you will be required to schedule an appointment to be fingerprinted. You will have an option to schedule an appointment at the South Sound 911 office or at a third-party location - Bellevue Fingerprinting Services or Alliance 2020. Bellevue Fingerprinting Services or Alliance 2020 will submit your fingerprint card on your behalf. If you select the Bellevue Fingerprinting Services or Alliance 2020 option, be advised of the following requirements:
- Bellevue Fingerprinting Services is a third-party vendor that charges $42 (cash or card) at the time of service. This fee is in addition to the fees paid to South Sound 911 for the concealed pistol license application. Fingerprinting at the South Sound 911 location is included in the application fees.
- Bellevue Fingerprinting Services are located at - 1201 Pacific Ave Ste 600, Tacoma.
- Alliance 2020 is a third-party vendor that charges $40 (card only) at the time of service. This fee is in addition to the fees paid to South Sound 911 for the concealed pistol license application. Fingerprinting at the South Sound 911 location is included in the application fees.
- Alliance 2020 is located at 2601 70th Ave W, Suite N, University Place, WA 98466
- You MUST be a resident of Pierce County or the City of Milton.
- Bring a valid, government-issued identification.
Reschedule Appointment: Applications will be withdrawn and refunded (less the service and credit card fees) for failing to appear for the required fingerprint appointment. You must reapply once an application is withdrawn and refunded.
If you need to reschedule your appointment, please do so using the ORDER TRACKER
. You will need your order number (ex. C6H7YTLGK), the email address used during the application process (ex. firstname.lastname@example.org), and the password you created during the application process.
- For an ORIGINAL CPL, you will be asked to schedule a fingerprint appointment.
- If you are applying for a CPL RENEWAL, you may not apply until 90 days prior to the expiration date shown on your current CPL.
- LATE RENEWAL applications will be accepted up to 90 days after the expiration date shown on the current CPL.
- If you are a Pierce County or an out-of-state resident and your Washington State CPL is lost, stolen, or destroyed, you may apply for a REPLACEMENT CPL from the South Sound 911 regardless of where your CPL was originally issued.
|Type of Permit
- For credit card transactions a nominal credit card transaction fee will be charged for each transaction. Charges will be viewable prior to transaction completion.
- Fingerprinting is required for an original Concealed Pistol License. Appointments for fingerprinting are generally available Tuesdays through Saturdays, excluding legal holidays
- Click the appropriate button on the left of the screen to proceed with an application for a Concealed Pistol License.
* The Pierce County Sheriff’s Department, Edgewood Police, Lakewood Police, Roy Police, Tacoma Police, and University Place Police Departments DO NOT issue CPLs. Residents served by those agencies must apply at South Sound 911.
Please note that this website is optimized for Edge, Safari, Chrome, and Firefox.